Saturday, June 02, 2007

Fast Girls Run in Albany!

I watched the Freihofer's Run for Women 5K with my 17 month old daughter and pregant wife (a runner who was none too plesased to be watching). Having run 15+ races of various distances and watched several more over the years, I was amazed at the number of runners 15 and under. In fact the largest age group entered was U15.

The winner, Benita Johnson, ran a 15:22 in 80+ degree weather with high humidty. Several runners in the Top 100 who by age appeared to be in high school, were from Saratoga NY. The same town that has produced Nicole Blood one of thje top runners in the US last year. While names escape me, she is not the first elite runner out of the area.

I hope the presence of so many young runners is a sign that this generation is as interested in health and fitness as they are in the internet, hollywood gossip and text messaging!

No comments: